What is Biology? - Definitions, Topics and Importance of Biology
“Biology is defined as the study of living organisms, their origins, anatomy, morphology, physiology, behaviour, and distribution.”
Life is teeming in every corner of the world – from the frozen Arctics to the searing Sahara. And with over 8.7 million species documented till date, the world is that the only planet within the universe where life is understood to exist.
Advancements in technology have opened even more insights about life and its constituents. For instance, discoveries such as viruses have scrutinized traditional definitions and pushed scientists to look at life from a whole new perspective.
Have you ever imagined that you never stay the way you were born, how when you sow a seed, and a new plant comes out from it? How is it that whenever you get hurt, your body heals itself? The answer to all these questions comes from Biology. Biology is one of the most important subjects that kids should learn about. The basics of Biology will help you in several ways and in various situations.
So, In this article, we are going to learn about what is Biology for kids, what we call the language of Biology, and will perform Biology experiments for kids. Learning Biology for kids will become easy with the wonderful explanations given in this article.
FAQs on Biology
1. Who is Known as the Father of Biology?
2. Who is Called the Mother of Biology?
Maria Sibylla Merian.
3. Who First Discovered Biology?
4. Name Some of the Important Topics of Biology.
Some of the important topics of Biology are:
Membranes and Transport
5. Through the process of photosynthesis trees create energy. But which gas is given off during photosynthesis?
Oxygen is given off during photosynthesis.
6. Name any one organ which is not used during digestion.
Lungs is not used during digestion.
7. When we breathe we actually need oxygen but what percentage of oxygen is present in the atmosphere?
About 21% of oxygen is present in the atmosphere.
8. What part of science works on biological children or human beings who are yet to be born?
Embryology and Developmental Biology is the branch of Biology that deals with the development of biological children of human beings.